1. The guest
- Have you got a single room for tonight?
- I’d like to stay in a double room.
- Do all the rooms have air-conditioning?
- Is breakfast included?
- When do you serve breakfast?
- Could you give me a call at 7 tomorrow morning, please?
- I’d like to pay in cash/by credit card/by traveller’s cheque (AE: check).
2. The receptionist
- Hello, can I help you?
- Would you like a room with a bath or a shower?
- How long would you like to stay at our hotel?
- How would you like to pay?
- Your room is on the second floor on the right.
- Sorry, we’re fully booked for tonight.
- Sorry, we are full up.
- Is there anything else I can do for you?
Below are some typical dialogues between a hotel receptionist at The Grand Istanbul Hotel and a guest. Here you will find typical conversations that deal with making reservations, checking in and also checking out.
Receptionist: Good morning. Welcome to The Grand Istanbul Hotel.
Client: Hi, good morning. I’d like to make a reservation for the third weekend in July. Do you have any vacancies?
R: Yes sir, we have several rooms available for that particular weekend. And what is the exact date of your arrival?
C: The 24th.
R: How long will you be staying?
C: I’ll be staying for one and a half week.
R: How many people is the reservation for?
C: There will be two of us.
R: And would you like a room with twin beds or a double bed?
C: A double bed, please.
R: Great. And would you prefer to have a room with a view of the Bosporus?
C: If that type of room is available, I would love to have an Bosporos view. What’s the rate for the room?
R: Your room is a hundred and ninety liras per night. Now what name will the reservation be listed under?
C: Charles Hannighan.
R: Could you spell your last name for me, please?
C: Sure. H-A-N-N-I-G-H-A-N
R: And is there a phone number where you can be contacted?
C: Yes, my cell phone number is 555-649064.
R: Great. Now I’ll need your credit card information to reserve the room for you. What type of card is it?
C: Visa. The number is 4976324689865.
R: And what is the name of the cardholder?
C: Charles H. Hannighan.
R: Alright, Mr. Hannighan, your reservation has been made for the twenty-fourth of July for a room with a double bed and view of the Bosporus. Check-in is at 2 o’clock. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to call us.
C: Great, thank you so much.
R: My pleasure. We’ll see you in July, Mr. Hannighan. Have a nice day.