Passive Voice Exercises
The following sentences are written in either passive or active voice. Identify whether or not they are passive or active. Once you have identified all the sentences, try switching the voice, making the active sentences passive and the passive sentences active.
Ex. The cat chased the rat = active
The rat was chased by the cat = passive
1. The oil spill contaminated the coastline
2. The finalists were judged by Simon.
3. The firemen considered different ways of stopping the fire.
4. My side of the story was believed by the principal.
5. Jack and his friends moved the heavy boxes.
6. The students were tested by the teacher.
7. Congress established some new laws.
8. The new laws were revealed by congress.
9. Lindsay asked Jon to the school dance.
10. The fly was eaten by the frog.