THE PAST PERFECT TENSE
This tense is formed with HAD and the PAST PARTICIPLE. .(Bu zaman HAD ve V3 ile kurulur. V3 İngilizce’de b,r fiilin 3. halidir. Fiillerin 3. hallerini irregular verbs list (Düzensiz fiiller listesi) sayfamızdan inceleyiniz.)
Ex. I had worked – I’d worked (Düz Cümle)
He had not worked – He hadn’t worked (Olumsuz Cümle)
Had they worked? (Soru Cümlesi)
Sometimes we talk about something that happened in the past :
(Bazen biz geçmişte olup bitmiş eylemler hakkında konuşuruz.)
- Sara arrived at the party (O partiye ulaştı.)
This is the starting point of the story. Then if we want to talk about things that happened before this time, we use the past perfect.
(Bu olayın başlangıç zamanı. Biz eğer bu zamandanda daha evvel gerçekleşen bir olaydan bahsediyorsak “THE PAST PERFECT TENSE” kullanırız.
- When Sara arrived at the party, Paul had already gone home.
- When we got home last night, we found that somebody had broken into the flat.
- Karen didn’t want to come to the cinema with us because she had already seen the film.
Compare the past perfect and the past simple
(past Perfect tense ile Simple Past Tense i karşılaştırınız.)
- “Was Tom at the party when you arrived?” “No, he had already gone home”
but “Was Tom there when you arrived?” “Yes, but he went home soon afterwards.”
- Ann wasn’t at home when I phoned. She was in London..
But Ann had just got home when I phoned: She had been in London.